It’s more important than ever to promote hygiene and safety best practices when using VR headsets across your workforce. Below, you’ll find recommended steps for cleaning your headset and hand controllers used for training, events, and other use cases, where the devices are shared by more than one person.
Do not share headsets with persons with contagious conditions, infections, or diseases (for more information on health and safety, see oculus.com/warnings). For advice relating to specific contagious conditions such as COVID-19, please refer to CDC guidance on cleaning and disinfecting considerations.
- Wash your hands prior to using the headset and handling shared equipment. Use nitrile gloves while cleaning and dispose of gloves after each use. Between cleanings, either wash hands thoroughly or, if a sink is not readily accessible, use hand-sanitizer. Wash hands thoroughly after each use.
- Clean devices (headset, controllers and other elements that people have touched) between each use with non-abrasive anti-bacterial wipes. Suggested cleaning products include Wexford Cleancide or Lysol wipes. When using these products, wet the surface until it is visibility wet. The surface should remain wet for 10 minutes. Use a dry microfiber cloth to clean the lenses.
- Alcohol wipes should not be used on lenses, but may be used on other headset components only. Alcohol wipes can damage lenses. Use with caution.
- If the suggested supplies are unavailable, you can consult the CDC cleaning list, but be mindful that they may cause damage to equipment over time. Be sure the products are non-abrasive.
- Let equipment completely air dry after cleaning before the next use (at least 10 minutes). Use another headset or controller while the equipment fully air dries.
- Use a dry microfiber cloth (but not the same one used to wipe lenses as alcohol can damage lenses) to remove any wetness or residue from the headset and controllers.
For more information on maintaining your headset directly from Oculus' website please use this link.
UploadVR has great tips and Instructions on how to sanitize your headset at this link.