I just gave a tour of a model to 8 Revit users in the office. Here is some feedback:
- First off, they love it. First time VR is often a magical experience
- The camera tool is a bit small, hard to see what you are shooting. I would get inspired by the Facebook Spaces camera that can be stretched to almost any size.
- Our model is big, so it would be nice to have the ability to turn off some layers by default in 'model mode' but that these layers turn on when users teleport in the model. In our case, I did this manually for furniture since the model mode is uncomfortably laggy with furniture on. Ideally this could be done automatically.
- It could be worth removing collisions from furniture. I can't think of many situation where you would need to be blocked by furniture or teleport on top of it. Many time users were blocked by furniture or teleported on top of it by mistake. In the amphitheatre, it was problematic since being high on top of a chair made some users nauseous.
- Our fritted glass rendered not transparent, this was disappointing. I think the transparency aspect of Revit is ignored. In this case, the frit used an image to control transparency.
- When showing to a single (new) user, it could be useful to have the ability to control-z to their last teleporter location. A few of the older users had issue with the teleporter and would often teleport back to the lower level or outside by accident. Using a ctrl-z feature to replace them where they were 5 seconds ago would've made for a much smoother presentation. Instead, they have to find their way back to their previous location and sometime fall/fail again and have to start over.
- There was a particularly hard to climb stair because of holes through the stair and a window behind the stair. Users would teleport under the stairs through the crack or outside through the window. This is far fetched, but removing the ability to teleport through flights of stair would've mostly solved this issue. Here is the stair:
Overall, a great experience. I love the energy you get after first time users get in their own models.
Keep up the good work!
Please sign in to leave a comment.