First of all, congratulations on the updates to the tools and tool design in 1.0, which is cleaner and much simpler to use.
I feel the new layers UI has some ironing out to do. You've chosen to stick with the point & click, which keeps it nice & simple for users, and which may make work well across controllers, but obviously for the Vive, scrolling is much easier with the touchpad. The wide content area was a good choice for layer descriptions.
I think scrolling in the Layers UI has 3 issues currently:
- It’s made for people who are right-handed, with the scrollbar on the right-hand side
- The scrollbar is too small, resulting in lack of control over the scrolling, as hands move to the side
- When there are many layers, scrolling is too fast to read the layer descriptions
My suggestions for working around this:
- Make the scrollbar wider & bigger, so that I don't have to concentrate
- Add arrows at top and bottom of scrollbar in addition or instead
- Use full width arrows instead and place at top and bottom with content in the middle (no scroll bar)
- Make it possible to click and drag the content area up & down, with touch-like scrolling (natural deceleration)
My only other niggle is that with the HTC Vive, you have to do a full-depth trigger pull - personally I think a half-depth pull would be better, as most people won't know the difference.
Good luck with the next iteration!
Please sign in to leave a comment.