Exporting from 3ds Max
First, create a new folder on your computer that you will save the OBJ and texture files to. Then, click on Export from 3ds Max and follow the on screen prompt to select your new folder. Once selected, click "Save".
OBJ Export Options
- Flip YZ-axis (Poser-like) = Unchecked
- Export Materials = Checked
- If the 3ds Max file is set to feet and inches, set the export scale to 1.0, and import into IrisVR using "Inches" in the modal window within Prospect.
OBJ Map-Export Options
- Materials must be Standard Materials in your .max file.
- In most cases, you'll want to leave the "use map-path" option unchecked. However if you're experiencing texture issues, check this option and set your path to "./".
- Select "Render Procedurals" and set the format to JPG.
- Complete your export.
The resulting folder should look something like this:
You can then drag and drop the OBJ directly into Prospect, or use the file selection method to select and launch your model.
We recently discovered an encoding issue that will be corrected with the next release of Prospect. If launching your file results in the error: "Viewer Crashed! DecoderFallbackException..."
Please follow these steps:
1) Open the OBJ file with notepad
2) Do File > Save As
3) In the Save As dialog, there is an Encoding field next to Save. pick UTF-8.
4) Change Save As Type to All Files, and enter the original name
5) Click Save
6) After that, you should be able to re-import the file in Prospect and have it work correctly